The Caregivers at Carolina Program, funded by the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation, provides support to physician scientists who are facing substantial caregiving demands at home. This website is meant to provide timely information and direct access to resources for any UNC faculty or staff member who is a caregiver.
How the Caregivers Program Works
- Early career physician scientists who have substantial caregiving demands at home and are currently funded to conduct clinical research are eligible.
- The program provides supplemental research funding to physician scientists to support a research technician or buy-out of one day of clinical time.
- All applicants, regardless of whether they receive the funding, are part of a ‘Caregivers cohort’ — the program facilitates networking, research collaborations, and social and informational support.
- The program ensures that the Caregivers cohort has facilitated access to career development opportunities.
- Travel grants support physician scientists to attend research conferences.
The program also provides emotional and peer support.