Learning that your child has special needs can be a life-altering experience, at least for a time. As a parent, you may have questions and concerns about your child's needs or your own feelings and may not know anyone in a similar situation. Research has shown that the two most valuable sources of support for families with children with special needs are information and peer support. Our programs provide a unique and valuable service for families.
One-to-one emotional and informational support is provided to a parent of a child who has a disability, chronic illness, or other special health care needs by a trained support parent who has had similar family and disability experiences.
Family Support NetworkTM local program affiliates provide Support Parent Training using an established curriculum. Parent-to-Parent is a core service available to families who desire contact with an experienced parent of a child with special needs. Support Parent Training includes:
• Introduction to Parent-to-Parent support and its effectiveness
• Sharing the family experience
• Understanding confidentiality
• The Parent-to-Parent match process
• Understanding loss, grief, and adjustment
• Communication skills
- Family Support Network™ of North Carolina is an Alliance Member of Parent to Parent USA. Find your local Family Support Network™ affiliate program at the www.FSNNC.org website.
- Parent-to-Parent USA is a national organization of state parent-to-parent programs.