Families with children who have special needs may need transportation assistance. Below are some resources that may be of assistance:
- CARE-LINE, 1-800-662-7030 (English and Spanish) is the toll-free telephone information and referral help line of the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services. Individuals who are deaf or have a hearing impairment may reach CARE-LINE toll-free at 1-877-452-2514 (TTY).
- AppalCART Transportation Authority AppleCART Transportation offers Dial-A-Ride for seniors and those with special needs who may require door-to-door service. Dial-A-Ride is available to all persons living in rural areas for a fee/must call 24 hours in advance.
- Barb's Specialty Transport, Inc. Barb's Specialty Transport offers transportation for those in wheelchairs. 6522 Mill Grove Road, Indian Trail, NC, 28079
- Mountain Mobility serves Buncombe County
- Transylvania County Transportation serves Transylvania County
- Western Carolina Community Action serves Henderson County
- Greensboro Department of Transportation (SCAT) The Greensboro Transit Authority's shared-ride transportation service for eligible riders who have a disability that prevents them from riding the fixed route bus. Rides are provided within the Greensboro city limits
- Guilford County Transportation and Mobility Services Guilford County provides transportation and mobility services for the elderly and Medicaid recipients throughout the county. Transportation is also available for those with special needs.
- High Point Dial-A-Lift is a specialized public transportation alternative for those persons who cannot utilize the Hi-tran's fixed route system.
- City of Raleigh Accessible Raleigh Transportation, ART ART provides door-to-door transportation service for Raleigh citizens with special needs via cabs and buses.
- Fayetteville Area System of Transit The system serves the public transportation needs in the city of Fayetteville and offers a variety of routes and schedules. Accessible buses are available. Single ride and monthly tickets are available.
- Johnston-Lee-Harnett Community Action Community Action promotes self sufficiency and encourages the use of private sector involvement in anti-poverty activities. Offers Heating Assistance Repair Replacement Program.